Perry Sofferman practices Corporate, Intellectual Property and International law. He represents clients in the following areas: business transactions including corporate structuring and acquisitions, trademark, copyright, licensing, social media, software, publishing, Internet, privacy, HIPAA, technology and export compliance.
He previously served as General Counsel for a technology manufacturer and Counsel for Scholastic Inc., the Fortune 1000 global media and publishing company. Perry has negotiated the agreements for several of the most successful properties in publishing history. As a practitioner with extensive in-house experience, he brings a unique perspective to the needs of his clients and focuses on practical solutions, risk avoidance and strategic planning.
As an undergrad, Perry was named University Honors Scholar at New York University and was the recipient of NYU Founders' Day Award for graduating in the highest bracket of scholastic preferment recognized by the University.
While in law school, Perry was named Best Advocate in the Northeast Region of the United States by the American Bar Association for his performance in the National Appellate Advocacy Competition. He was the recipient of New York Law School's Moot Court Award for serving with distinction and of the Morris Orland Moot Court Award for "overall excellence."
Representative Legal Matters
- Prepared and negotiated complex formation agreements for corporations (for profit and not-for-profit) and limited liability companies
- Prepared and negotiated complex settlement agreements
- Responsible for all day-to-day legal issues and affairs of client companies including, but not limited to, purchasing, preparation of internal policies including, but not limited to, HR policies, IP Policies, Computer Policies, Social Media policies and privacy policies, advertising, contests and sweepstakes, co-branding, merchandising, leasing, joint-ventures, acquisitions, consulting, distribution, regulatory compliance and transactions with various governmental agencies including the U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Department of Treasury and U.S. Department of Commerce
- Responsible for all legal matters for Global Information Technology, Consumer and Interactive Software, Education (including technology, magazines and curriculum) and Marketing divisions for Scholastic Inc.
- Provided corporate and tax assistance on major acquisitions
- Advised major retailers and others on privacy best practices
- Drafted and negotiated agreements for numerous works included on the New York Times Bestseller Lists
- Negotiated agreements with complex royalty structures involving multiple authors, illustrators and other rights holders
- Drafted and negotiated agreements related to electronic rights, dramatic rights, translation rights and first and second serial rights.
- Drafted and negotiated licensing agreements with many of the world's top content providers including film studios, publishers, production companies, television networks, newspapers and other content providers
- Drafted and negotiated agreements for various distribution channels including, but not limited to, streaming, download, satellite, SaaS and OEM
Transactional work on software development, licensing and service agreements with largest global enterprise software providers including successful negotiation for multimillion dollar integration of enterprise software encompassing a wide range of critical issues related to service level, liability and customization
- Reviewed content for libel, defamation, right of privacy and right of publicity
Advised companies on International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations and Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) regulations
- Prepared comprehensive export compliance programs for companies in various industries
- Prepared voluntary disclosures for submission to the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls
- Met with members of U.S. Congress and U.S. Congressional and Senate offices, as well as members of the Department of Commerce, to discuss issues impacting the technology sector such as investment in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) and the impact of current export regulations on businesses
- Drafted and negotiated agreements related to the introduction, publication and distribution of curriculum materials into the Middle East
- Drafted and negotiated international distribution and licensing agreements
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Sections on Intellectual Property and Business Law
- Florida Bar
- Speaker, "Key Legal Issues for Emerging Businesses," 2017 Jim Moran Institute Business and Leadership Conference, June 2017
- Speaker, "Your Client Got The Book Deal, Now What?," American Bar Association 31st Annual Intellectual Property Conference, Washington, DC (Bethesda, Maryland), April 2016
- Speaker, "Pre-Compliance, What you NEED to Know to Stay Penalty Free," National Customs Brokers and Forwarders Association of America Webinar, February 2015
- Speaker, "Data Security for Business," Fort Lauderdale, Miami, December, 2014
- Speaker, "Trademark & Copyright: Lions, Tigers and Friends: Social Media Law Roundup," American Bar Association 29th Annual Intellectual Property Law Conference, April 2014
- Speaker, "Holding the Creepy Line - Privacy Law," Seminole Hard Rock, Hollywood, Florida, November 2013
- Adjunct Professor, Introduction to Business, Global Strategy and Business Policy and Personnel Adminstration, Florida Atlantic University, College of Business, 2007 – 2010
- Guest Lecturer, Defamation, Right of Privacy, Right of Publicity and the First Amendment, New York University, October 2004, 2005
- Adjunct Professor, Strategic Management, Business Law, Metropolitan College of New York, MBA Program, 2001 – 2003
- Author, "Not Protecting Your Data You Are Doing a Disservice," Daily Business Review, April 4, 2015
- Featured as "Dealmaker", Daily Business Review, February 4, 2015
- Quoted in numerous publications including Daily Business Review, Tech Transfer Central, E-Commerce Times, Palm Beach Post, Apple's Macworld Magazine and Florida Trend