For many litigants, final resolution comes in the form of an appeal that will preserve a trial court victory or overturn an adverse ruling of the lower court.
Fowler White provides effective appellate advocacy. We combine a mastery of substantive law and the nuances of appellate procedures with sophisticated handling of persuasive arguments necessary to succeed on appeal. With more than 75 years of experience collectively, our attorneys have successfully briefed and argued hundreds of cases.
We represent clients in appellate matters before multiple circuit courts and district courts of appeal in Florida, the Florida Supreme Court and the U.S. Supreme Court. Since appellate work begins at the trial level, the Appellate Group frequently partners with trial counsel to provide litigation support, preserve issues for appeal and evaluate the prospects of success on appeal. Our experience and expertise enable us to analyze issues and craft arguments within the context of appellate courts’ broader legal perspectives.
Fowler White handles a wide range of services related to the appellate process, including:
- Briefing significant legal issues at the trial court level, from jurisdictional and venue issues to admissibility of expert evidence
- Advising clients during litigation and trial, specifically with the preparation and response to dispositive motions, assistance with preservation of error and proper development of legal issues
- Advising clients after trial with preparation and response to post-trial motions and review of the trial record
- Preparing appellate briefs, including interlocutory appeals, jurisdictional briefs and petitions for extraordinary writs
- Presenting oral arguments and preparing post-decision motions
- Pursuing further relief on remand
As appellate advisors and strategists, our clients rely on us to guide them through appeals involving important legal issues, complex factual records and high stakes finances. Our appellate experience extends to most substantive areas of law, with specific expertise in the following areas:
- Product liability
- Medical malpractice
- Business torts
- Personal injury
When necessary, our appellate attorneys have the advantage of drawing upon other attorneys in the firm with broad subject matter expertise and industry-specific knowledge in order to provide comprehensive support.
The Appellate Group also closely follows emerging trends in the law and monitors pending cases in the U.S. Supreme Court and other federal and state appellate courts to evaluate how those decisions may affect our clients.
Significantly, Fowler White’s Appellate Group, led by a Board Certified Appellate Specialist, was instrumental in the formation and development of the Appellate Practice Section of The Florida Bar. Our attorneys were among the founding members of the Appellate Practice Section and continue to participate as Executive Council and committee members. Our attorneys also serve on the Appellate Court Rules Committee of The Florida Bar that addresses rule inquiries and recommends rule changes to the Florida Supreme Court. Our collaboration with sitting appellate judges and court personnel on issues related to appellate courts provides us with additional insight into judicial perspectives and the appellate process.