Opportunities are plentiful for businesses willing to cross international borders and exchange their goods and services. However, while our globalized economy has created many new platforms for prosperity, the path to international success is challenged by cultural and legal differences.
With headquarters in Miami, a gateway city to Latin America and Europe, Fowler White has significant international law experience and familiarity with foreign cultures. Our multilingual team of attorneys serve on multiple binational chambers of commerce, participate in committees of international associations and speak to national audiences on a diverse range of legal topics.
Our firm’s attorneys combine their in-depth knowledge of international regulations with various substantive areas of law in order to meet our clients' complex range of needs. From start-up companies to multinational corporations, our client base covers a broad array of industries and entities, including international sea and air carriers, insurers, manufacturers, distributors, international banks and entrepreneurs. We also work with American companies doing business abroad and in-bound investors doing business or intending to invest in the U.S.
An overview of the types of matters we handle include:
- Cross-border mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, investments, acquisition finance and other strategic alliances
- Establishment of offshore banks and trusts
- Assist foreign financial institutions in establishing broker-dealers, wire remittance and representative offices in the U.S.
- Establishment of branches, subsidiaries and affiliates of foreign corporations
- Negotiation and drafting of commercial contracts
- Providing counsel regarding engagement of distributors, commission agents or independent contractors
- Draft arbitration, choice of forum and choice of law clauses in commercial agreements
- Resolve matters in alternative dispute resolution settings throughout the world
- Enforcement of arbitral awards and agreements
- Process immigrant visas for extraordinary ability aliens, exceptional ability aliens, multi-national executives and managers and investors in commercial enterprises
- Petition for employment-based and family-based permanent residence
- Represent corporations in immigration audits
- Assist with U.S. citizenship applications
- Registration, licensing and maintenance of trademarks and copyrights within the U.S. and under the Madrid Protocol
- Counsel regarding specific provisions for protecting IP rights under other international, regional and bilateral agreements
- Prosecution and defense of matters relating to unfair trade practices, including trademark infringement
- Assisting foreign investors in the acquisition of U.S. commercial and residential real estate
- Counsel regarding cross-border real estate purchase and development
- Provide tax counsel on the purchase of U.S. real estate by foreign nationals
- Tax planning for businesses and individuals
- Transaction support and investment structuring
- Tax compliance
- Foreign credit tax planning
- Export incentives
- Preparation of income, gift and estate tax returns
- Resolution of U.S. Customs issues
- Facilitate the purchase, export and sale of goods
- Cross-border collections
- Trade regulation and export controls
Trusts & Estates
- Estate planning for U.S. and foreign individuals with global assets or a non-U.S. spouse
- Structure of foreign trusts
- Foreign trust compliance and reporting
Fowler White removes the uncertainly of international business relations by providing our clients with insightful and trusted legal guidance. Whether pursuing business dealings in the U.S., Latin America or Europe, clients benefit from our commitment to their success, wide-ranging industry-specific experience and strong grasp of international laws and customs.