Browse Attorneys by Alphabet
Browse Attorneys by Filters
No Attorney Matches Your Search Parameter
Susan Aprill's practice encompasses a wide range of civil litigation matters with particular emphasis in recent years on business disputes and employment matters, including claims by independent contractors against employers. Susan is called upon by clients to craft arguments and develop strategies that benefit both legal and business interests.
Susan has practiced civil litigation since 1982, including general commercial, employment, consumer and probate litigation. In the past decade, she has served as court-appointed receiver for businesses, including a medical billing service, mobile home parks, and a luxury rental property in foreclosure. She has also served as a court-appointed arbitrator on a panel deciding a complicated medical practice break-up, and has been appointed a special master and mediator in various matters. She recently prevailed in an international arbitration saving her clients in a "bet the company" suit challenging their right to pursue a contract previously enjoyed by a former business affiliate. She has recently represented libel plaintiffs against television and print media defendants.
Susan has for a number of years represented a mobile parks owner in disputes over regulation and permitting and limousine and for-hire service companies in employment matters, particularly those surrounding the classification of drivers for FLSA purposes.
She has many years of experience representing reporters, broadcasters and publishers in First Amendment, libel and public access cases; officers and directors of condominium and homeowner associations; financial institutions and private lenders in foreclosure and intra-institutional litigation, real estate developers and owners; doctors and other health care providers; farmers; and a variety of domestic and foreign businesses across multiple industries in commercial matters often of a complex nature.
She has also represented debt collectors and debt buyers, and cases arising out of insurance premium audits for a major carrier. She has represented the local government agencies such as the City of Pompano Beach and the Overtown/Park West Community Redevelopment Agency in the City of Miami.
Susan successfully represented a major airline in a whistleblower and discrimination suit both at the trial level and in the federal court of appeal. See Robert Malfara v. United Airlines, 181 F. 3d 109 (11th Cir. 2002).
While an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Susan tried a variety of tort cases ranging from slip and falls to the defense of medical negligence claims, as well as money laundering and forfeiture cases and defense of employment discrimination claims against the United States.
Representative Legal Matters
- Ordziejeski v. Freudenberg, 8 So. 3d 1189 (FL 4th DCA 2009)
- Robert Malfara v. United Airlines, 181 F. 3d 109 (11th Cir. 2002).
- Hillcrest Pacific Corp. v. Yamamura, 727 So. 2d 1053 (Fla. 4th DCA 1999).
- Primeco Personal Communications v. Commonwealth Distributors., Inc., 740 So. 2d 585 (Fla. 4th DCA 1999).
- Cypress v. Tamiami Partners, Ltd., 662 So. 2d 1292 (Fla. 3d DCA 1995).
- Tamiami Partners v. Miccosukee Tribe, 898 F. Supp. 1549 (S.D. Fla. 1994).
- Tamiami Partners v. Miccosukee Tribe, 999 F. 2d 502 (11th Cir. 1993).
- Combined Professional Resources, Inc. v. Limeco, 801 F. Supp.664 (S.D. Fla. 1992).
- Iden v. Kasden, 609 So. 2d 54 (Fla. 3d DCA 1992).
In the News
- Quoted, “Miami-Dade Schools: Union Sues Over Closed Talks,” The Miami Herald, February 6, 2009
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Florida Bar, Media & Communications Law Committee
- Past Vice Chair and Member
- 4th DCA Judicial Nominating Commission, 2016 - Present
- Federalist Society, Miami Lawyers Division
- Author, “Defamation,” Reporter's Handbook, The Florida Bar, 1993–2018
- Author, "Invasion of Privacy and the Media," Reporter's Handbook, The Florida Bar, 2018
- Co-Author, “Reporters Qualified Privilege,” Reporter's Handbook, The Florida Bar, 1993–2015
- Editor, “Legal Issues Related to Public Access and The Press,” Annual Education Program, Florida Conference of Circuit Judges,1994–2001
- Contributor, “Florida Law Section,” 50-State Survey: Media Libel Law, Media Privacy and Related Law, Employment Libel and Privacy Law, Media Law Resource Center, 1995–1997
- Co-Author, “Punitive Damages,” Florida Torts, Matthew Bender, 1988